Are you ready to let go of worry, confusion, or overwhelm? How about a detox? In today’s episode of Unbusy Your Life, I am walking you through the process I used to cure my worry addiction. The process is much like a detox or a diet that you would go on if you were trying to get healthy after the holidays or lose weight.
What’s the first thing you have to do before you start one of those diets? You decide to do it. You decide to eliminate that thing from your diet.
Detoxing emotions of worry, confusion, and overwhelm are very similar. You have to intentionally decide to eliminate those emotions from your life.
So how do you do it?
Find out when you listen to Episode 16 of Unbusy Your Life, Worry, Confusion, and Overwhelm Detox.
So, why is this topic relevant to the Unbusy Your Life podcast?
Well, here’s the reason why. It’s just like overindulging in too much alcohol or eating an entire bag of chips or five cupcakes. If you did that, you see the physical effects of that kind of behavior, right? It’s the same idea with some feelings and some emotions that we have by indulging and emotions like worry and confusion and overwhelm. There are also negative side effects. These emotions are what I call the stuck stagnant emotions. They’re really the dream stealing emotions and goal stealing emotions because they prevent us from doing the things that are going to move us ahead towards our dreams and our goals.
Think about what happens when you worry about something. Maybe you’re worrying about your children. You’re spinning out in your mind, right? So many of us think (especially those of us who are moms) that worry is one of those necessary things – that it’s a necessary experience of being a good mom.
I want you to stop and challenge that thought.
Worrying about children doesn’t make you a better mom. All it does is make you a worried mom.
When I’m sitting here and I’m worried about my son and maybe he’s going dirt bike riding or he’s doing something that maybe I think he might get hurt doing, my worry isn’t changing anything. All it’s doing is keeping me spinning out in my brain. It prevents me from being productive.
The same thing is true with overwhelm. Overwhelm is coming up a lot from my clients right now because they think there’s so much to do. The thoughts that my clients are having are:
“I have more things on my plate to do than I’ve ever had to do before. I am entrepreneuring. I am building my business, growing my business, and I have these kids at home who need my attention, who need me to homeschool them, and there’s just too much to do and I don’t have enough time.”
When you’re experiencing overwhelm, however, what’s happening is that you’re not actually doing anything to get anything done, right? So again, you’re going through this internal spin-out in your mind.
Again, overwhelm isn’t going to solve anything and the same thing is true for this other emotion, confusion.
When you’re stuck in confusion, you’re not making decisions and you’re not taking actions forward. You’re not doing the things that you know you need to be doing to get to that goal or to create that dream for yourself.
I know a lot of you might be thinking that these emotions feel necessary. I get that part. They really do seem necessary, but they’re really not. They’re actually preventing us from doing anything productive in our lives. So that’s why these are so important for us to detox from. They just hold us back. That’s the whole reason why I’m spending an entire podcast episode teaching you about them and teaching you a process to start detoxing yourself from them.
Now that we know why we need to detox, let’s learn how. Below is the step by step guide for detoxing from these emotions.
- Make the decision to go through the detox. This is crucial. You have to intentionally decide to detox from these emotions.
- Decide which feeling you’re going to work on first. I don’t want you to get overwhelmed so just start with one emotion then you can move on to another one.
- Once you know which emotion you’re going to work on, decide to move forward with the detox. For the most part, you are eliminating these emotions from your daily diet. They may come up as an “appetizer” here and there but they won’t be the “main course.”
- Once you’ve decided to start your detox, start to notice how your body feels when you experience these emotions. Remember that each person experiences emotions differently so try not to compare your experience to anyone else’s.
- It’s important to start by examining how your physical body feels when you’re experiencing this emotion. Once you do that, look into your mind and ask yourself why you’re feeling this way. There was a thought, a phrase, or a sentence that triggered this vibration in your body. What was it?
- Once you have awareness and you know why you’re experiencing this emotion, you’re going to consciously choose to focus your mind on something else. Remember that your new thinking needs to be believable to you. See below for thoughts you could focus your attention on instead of the emotion of confusion, worry, or overwhelm.
A thought to combat worry: Worry is not solving this problem. It’s only making it bigger.
Questions to ask yourself to to get out of worry:
- If I weren’t worried about this, what would I do?
- If I knew that everything was going to be okay, what would I be thinking about?
Thoughts to combat overwhelm:
- I only have to focus on one thing at a time.
- I always handle everything.
- There’s plenty of time for what needs to be done right now.
Thoughts to combat confusion:
- Everything is figureoutable.
- All I need to do is take the very next step.
- Taking this action is going to help me figure it out.
- I’m figuring it out all the way to creating it.
- I’m just going to keep trying things to get to where I want to go.
Do you notice the flavor that these thoughts have? Instead of a victim mentality, they can empower you. They allow you to decide how you feel.
By using this process, you can choose not to indulge in the emotion that you chose to work on for an hour at a time, and then maybe a couple of hours at a time, and then maybe a full day, and then an entire week, and then an entire month. Pretty soon you’ll realize this feeling just really doesn’t have any place in your life.
How cool is that? We have the superpower to combat these emotions. All we need to do is have awareness and change our thinking around them.
Thank you so much for tuning into this episode of Unbusy Your Life. To get access to the free masterclass mentioned in this episode, head to www.neillwilliams.com.
If you’re loving what you’re learning on the podcast, please head over to Apple Podcasts to subscribe, rate, and review. Doing these three easy things is the best way to support the podcast because it shows Apple that these conversations are worth sharing with more people. Thank you so much for your support!
Connect with me on social on Instagram and Facebook @neillwilliamscoach!
Until next time, have a beautiful, unbusy week!